S&S B #496639

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:36:13 -0500

Dear Horace, Tim, David, and List,
	Thanks for the prompt responses, here goes:

>Just how frozen is frozen?
	not sure, was in van or storage from 12/31/96 thru 3/10/97. H20 damage on
bottom of unit when on edge(runs) confined to cosmetic. No evidence of rust
inside, as from condensation. Customer and ins.co.and mover(major) unclear
as to actual storage location,as yet.

>How do the substantive joints and the rim look?
	overall integrity is just fine. Last tune, in K.C., 6mos ago, pitch down
about 8-10 cents at C5. Not bad for our avg hygro of ~15%. Has DC system
nicely installed, and was re-activated after set-up. It's raining heavy,
now. Humidity up to a muggy 35%.

>It may be that the most charitable thing to do is to put the poor thing out
>of it's misery.
	nononono...it's not THAT bad. Just needs the soundboard and lid refinished.

would suspect that the rate of cooling would be more of an issue than the
temperature per se in terms of the likelihood of damage.
	Tim, I think you're right on this one. The finish damage is in the form of
'spider-webbing', and I wicked some CA into a couple of the cracks to test
freshness. I would think that if the cracks had been around for any period
of time, moisture changes would have made them stand out. As it is, they're
really only visable with good lighting. Previous tech doesn't recall ANY
such soundboard cracking in the finish. It's something you would see while
tuning, I'm sure.
>I recently had occasion to try out a piano at -10 C
	how can you live like that? bbbrrrrrrrrrrr...

>Back in the early 80s a truckload of Steinways got stuck in a blizzard
(the story goes it was so cold that the diesel fuel turned to jelly.
These tales get embellished over time.)  The pianos were frozen for
about 6 days I believe.
	David, this might be more help than you think. Same vintage of instrument,
should be same finish. Could be a fluke, though.

	I've got some messages hanging, and more calls to make. I keep ya'll up to
date as this progresses. Thanks again for your prompt input.
Guy
Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"The person with experience is never at the mercy of one with an opinion"
					Ron Rummel