S&S B #496639

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:07:19 -0400 (EDT)

<<  List,
          Anybody out there had much experience with pianos that have been
frozen?
  The S&S B I just looked at sure seems like it may have. The inards are
  O.K., it seems, but the finish on the lid and the soundboard is pretty
funky.

<< These were in a truck, not out in the snow or anything, but they did get
very cold for several days.  When you think of it though, I'm sure many
pianos are shipped to dealers during cold weather.  I don't know what
kind of damage is done by this.  >>

Just about 3-4 years ago several S & S pianos came in to Sacramento that had
gone through the frozen tundra of the midwest via truck. There were a couple
of those that they had to replace the lids on because of damage to the
finish. As I remember it, they almost looked like old shelac finishes that
were starting to alligator. Not sure of the reason other than the finish may
have been too soft to start with, but it does still happen. Check with S&S to
see if they will replace etc.

The soundboard looking *funky* is something new, though. I doubt if S&S will
ship one of those as a replacement!

John Elving, RPT
Sacramento