Bush&Gerts upright

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:42:10 -0400 (EDT)

>At 09:33 AM 4/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 97-04-24 09:24:49 EDT, you write:
>>
>>> I have a Beautiful Bush&Gert Upright 1904 could anyone give
>>>            me a idea on the price that I could sell it for.The condition
>>>            Of the piano is good to excellent inside and out.Thanks Arthur
>>
>>Before anyone can give you evenr a ball park price, much less an accurate
>>price, there are a couple of questions that need to asked.
>>
>>1.  Are you a technician? If not, have you had a technician inspect the
>>action, strings, bridges, soundboard, etc? I need to know more details of
>the
>>piano other than that it is in "good to excellent" condition.
>>2. What kind of wood, and finish does the case have? Is it an art case, or
>>just plain?
>>3. What part of the country do you live?
>>
>>Willem Blees  RPT
>>St. Louis
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. I am a starting technician associate member PTG.All
>  Action looks fine done over in 1988, wood refinished same year, cherry
>stain.
>  Keys will have to have new tops put on,soundboard has some small cracks in
>it.
>  about three. Case have beatiful detail in it. Area of Boston, MA.

Sometimes the answers given calls for more questions to be asked. "done over
in 1988". Does this mean: a) all action parts replaced, or  b) hammers
shaped, bridle straps replaced, cleaned and regulated?

If a), I would guess the piano would be worth about $1500 - $2000. If b), I
would estimate the value to be in the $750 - $1000 range. At least that is
what it would be worth in the St. Louis area. Considering I charge $70 for a
tuning, and a  gallon of milk cost $2.75, you can guess at what the value of
the piano is in comparison.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis