Do yellow pages pay?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:22:33 -0400 (EDT)

> What have some of you done who mostly work for yourself, especially if
>you
>> don't offer rebuilding? Have you found yellow pages advertising cost
>> effective?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Wally Scherer

Although we don't ask everytime a customer calls, we do get feed back that
they found my name in the Yellow Pages. Does it pay for itself?  Yes . It
pays for itself in that it puts my name in front of customers every day, 7
days a week, 52 weeks a year. For what it costs me, I can't buy that kind of
advertising in the newspaper on the radio.

There are 2 circumstances where being in the Yellow Pages is effective. One,
I have in my ad that I am a member of the PTG. I get enough calls from
customer looking for an RPT, that those calls alone pay for the ad. Although
I also get calls from people who want to use my other services, rebuilding,
appraising, etc, and wanting to buy or rent a piano, it is the tuning
business that pays for it all.

The other reason it is important I have my name in the YP is for my repeat
customers. I send my customers reminder notices for 4 years, but even after
all of that, most of them do not have my phone number handy. They know my
name, or if not exactly, they know it is a little different. If I was not in
the YP, they wouldn't know where to look, or how to spell it. It is just like
your dentist, or plumber. You know who he is, but do you know his phone
number.

No matter how small a town you live in, it doesn't hurt to have your name in
the YP. No tonly for new customers, but also for your regular clientelle. It
more than pays for itself.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis