Do yellow pages pay?

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:13:30 -0500

At 08:48 AM 4/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>What have some of you done who mostly work for yourself, especially if you
>don't offer rebuilding? Have you found yellow pages advertising cost
>effective?
>
>Sincerely,
>Wally Scherer

Wally,
	As has been posted, credibility may be one of the biggest considerations.
Actual 'cost-effectiveness' is tough to measure on any term of less than
two or three years, because of the life-span of phone books. Look in your
customer's homes for what year of book is next to the kitchen phone.
	Something else to consider, specially if your name starts with "Z", is
what's called a "trade " listing. It's relatively cheap, and is a real
credibility builder, for you and the Guild. The PTG trade listing is
in-column and says "Piano Technicians' Guild" on the header. It then lists
"Registered Members" and "Associate Members". This helps build recognition
for the Guild, and gives you a second spot in the column, in case your
regular listing is lost at the end, or another column, etc.
	Between "Baldwin" and "PTG" trade listings, moving, sales, repair, and
whatever, we OWN the page. It's well worth it, and we don't have ANY
expensive display ads. You can generally get a logo added to an in-column
ad if it's at least 1".
	Oh, and by the way, when dealing with the ad rep, GET IT IN WRITING AND
DOUBLE CHECK IT! Sorry to yell, still hurts when I bend over sometimes.
Regards,
Guy
* Nichols Baldwin Music Company *
*    311 South Compress Road    *