Question of the Month

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 21:26:32 -0700 (PDT)

Marcel --

Newport (with relief) yields pride of place to the Orford Art Center. I
never had to put a piano action inside a car windshield, but it's good to
know the trick. I've found dead mice and live moths, but never had a mouse
look back at me.

>>Susan,
>>
>>   Thanks. I imagine most of us enjoy hearing a true story about something
>>like that. At least as long as it doesn't happen to us. :-)
>>
>>Avery
>>
>>>All right, Avery, just didn't know if anyone would be interested.
>>
>I might be able to beat that one. While tuning an upright piano at the
>Orford Art Center one summer about 10 years ago (when pianos were still in
>outside little cabins), I saw the mouse walking on the hammer heads. It was
>just looking at me and probably wondering what the hell I was doing. Well it
>didn't die of old age! :-) The funny thing is that after it died, I started
>to inspect the keybed and found about 6 of it's kids in there. They were
>more lucky. I just threw them out of the piano and the cabin. My two
>daughters were with me at that time and they still talk about it. I saw a
>lot of these situations. These little animals would start coming into pianos
>usually in the middle of August just for nesting. They really liked the
>hammer rest felt and the damper felts. Frotunately, The Art Center had a new
>building built and now the pianos are better protected. The old cabins were
>so damp on rainy days that we had to take out actions and put them in the
>car's windshield under the sun to make them playable again in about 1/2 hre.
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT

Susan Kline
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,
Philomath, OR 97370

"If you don't get all you want, think of all you don't get that you don't want."