bridge

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:28:24 -0700

Peter Kestens wrote:

> PETER KESTENS
> Het Muziekinstrumentenatelier
> BELGIUM
> KESTENS.P@Debcom.be
> List,
>
> Could anyone of you telling me a fast and easy way to take away the bridge
> (bass and treble) from the soundbord.  I've done it ones, but wasn't very
> glad with the damage I saw after.

Peter,

I'm sorry I've taken so long to get back to you on this.  If someone
else has already answered you, maybe this will give you a little more
information.

There are two types of bridges. 1. Those that fall off when you remove
the strings and 2. Those you need blasting powder to get off! (Just
kidding :-))

So far mine have all been type two!

To evaluate your situation, here's a procedure I use.

1. Put your bridge chisel near one end of the bridge (but not the end)
oriented so the point is solidly against the glue joint and give it a
solid tap (Something between starting a nail and driving it).  If the
glue joint is bad the whole bridge will pop off, or maybe just that end
of it. If you get a solid bong when you hit it, go to plan B.

2. If the joint is not bad, and you still are determined to remove it,
you will need to weaken the joint.  Put a good tight tape, like duct
tape, along all sides of the bridge about 1/16 inch away to restrict
your efforts to the bridge itself preventing damage to the surrounding
soundboard.  If you are not planing to replace the bridge and will be
reinstalling it later, you need to tape the top of the bridge also.

3. Pack some absorbant material like shop rags, cotton or whatever
around the bridge joint and tape clear plastic over the whole thing to
keep it in place. Now use a small electronics-type soldering iron to put
holes in the plastic where you want to pour your joint breaking fluid
(wallpaper solution or vinegar).  Use a squirt-bottle with a pointed
spout to wet the packing until it is good and wet looking.  Allow this
to soak in for about fifteen minutes then blot the packing to squeeze
out any loose fluid.

4. If this is an upright go to the back of the piano, if a grand you'll
need to put it on its' side.  Remove all the bridge screws.  If any are
behind posts, you'll need to punch a hole through the post lined up with
the screw head so you can remove it.  Use a brace and bit because it
will leave and exact sized hole that you can put a tight plug into.
Rummage around in your junk bin for enough bridle corks to plug the
bridge screw holes after you squirt solution inside.  This will break
the joint from the inside out.

5. Have patience!  It will sometimes take a minimum of three to five
hours to break a good tight joint.  The worse thing would be to whack it
with the chisel before the thing is loose because you will really pull
up the grain of the soundboard when it's wet!  When it is ready, the
slightest of taps will take it off!

Hope this helps,

Warren
--