tuning sequence

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 06:45:54 -0500

----------
> From: McNeilTom@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: tuning sequence
> Date: Monday, April 28, 1997 6:17 AM
>

> It seems that the tuning pin arrays of most uprights are designed (or at
> least built) so that the some of the pins interfere with neighboring
strings.
>  This condition is usually worst in the tenor area, worst in pianos where
the
> tenor strings are at a considerable angle from vertical, worst in short
> pianos, i.e., spinets, and of course worst in pianos carelessly made.
The
> interference is most objectionable when the left string of a unison
(upper
> row of tuning pins) bears against the lowest tuning pin of the note to
its
> left.  If one tunes the lower pin (right string) of one note, then moves
> toward the treble, tuning the left string of the next note, there is no
> appreciable problem.  The change in string tension in tuning the second
> string is slight and has little influence on the pin already set.
However,
> if one tunes the left string of the upper note first, then the right
string
> of the lower neighbor, there may be trouble.  The 'flagpoling' of the
lower
> tuning pin may upset the tension of the string already tuned.
>
> So, if you strip-mute in the tenor area of verticals, you will often have
> better unisons if you pull out your strip from left to right, tuning the
> upper pin first, then the lower before moving on to the next note.
>
> .
>
>   -     Tom McNeil, RPT     -
> Vermont Piano Restorations
Dear Tom,
	It seems to me that there would be no reason to design the closeness
deliberately.  I lay it on cheap uncaring design and sloppiness.  There is
no intelligent reason to have adjacent strings touching each other
anywhere.  Your sequence probably helps.
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com