No subject

Tuesday, April 29, 1997 4:12 PM

>Dear list,
>The hexagonal soundboard means that the soundboard in the left part of the
>piano is extended up to a narrower part of the pinblock (bass section)
This
>give 11% morfe soundboard area and gives them less wood in the pinblock on
>the bass end.  With this extension you get 6 sides.
>James Grebe from St. Louis
>pianoman@inlink.com

Dear List,

So much for my memory with regards to the Wurlitzer soundboard  :-)

However, I am still stuck with this three-layered solid spruce soundboard
concept that has the grain running in three different directions, then
glued together.  Is there anyone other than myself who has heard of this
concept as well?  Or is this the lamination type soundboard concept?

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA

Dear Keith,
The 3 plies in the soundboard are just the standard laminated veneers.  The
claim was that the vibration would travel in all directions equally well.
Just a claim mostly to overlook the fact that the board will not vibrate as
easily because it is much more rigid with 3 ply construction.
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com