Wurlitzer hexagonal soundboard

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 18:50:03 -0500 (CDT)

>...So a laminated board is considered a "solid" board?

Dear Gordon, LIst.

What follows may be strictly a play on words on my part.

A laminated soundboard that has its layers made of spruce is solid by the
fact of being glued together, but it is laminated by definition.  A
traditional spruce soundboard is not laminated, though it too is made of
pieces of spruce that are glued together side-by-side rather than layered
which makes it solid.  I suspect that solid is not a valid word to describe
the different soundboards since both type boards are solid in construction.
Apparently, lamination must be the key word here to denote the difference.

BTW: I feel Steve Brady described the Wurlitzer "Duraphonic Multi-Radial
Soundboard" quite well.  Thank you, Steve.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician