..what is...etc.. (VERY FAR offtopic)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:27:21 -0800 (PST)

Bill Bremmer quotes me:
><< Yet Bill has been talking about his colleagues, their works, and this list
> in an unbecoming fashion ever since he joined us >>
>   If you can prove this statement, I'll unsubscribe to the list.  Meanwhile
>I'll just delete this message as I've been advised to do since there was no
>value at all in what was said.
>     Bill Bremmer RPT
>     Madison, Wisconsin
>     "I have only one enemy...Mediocrity"

Very well.

Latest first:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:58:51
> There will be no need to "string
>up" the person who made the bad judgment as one person on this list
>suggested.  (I don't know who that was, that message has been deleted.)

The person whose opinion you attacked here is Jon Page. I consider him a
friend. This list is full of friends, by the way.

 Sun, 30 Nov 1997 15:41:17
>     Thanks Del, and let's welcome the Estonia pianos to those upon which we
>make a living by piano and customer service, not by badmouthing.

It's very nice that you pat Del on the back (he doesn't need it: we already
respect him), but not so nice that you do it by contrasting him with the
rest of us badmouths.

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:38:45
> How would you
>feel if these people used words like "POS" and "merde" and went on about how
>the other guy "didn't have a clue as to what they were doing"?  I think you
>might feel as STUPID as you make your customers feel for not having had
>better judgment about whom to have perform these services and would have a
>lower opinion about that entire profession.
>    There is a better way.

You are attacking everyone on the list who used "POS" and "merde". There are
quite a few who did. They don't ask you to soil your lips with these terms,
but they have a right to use them without being attacked.

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:07:04
I could just put on this whole post (Junk Mail), but the length would get
irksome.

><< While it is always
> permissable to offer your opinion, it can be quite another to dictate
> what is offerred by someone else.  >>
>     I've never dictated to anyone that which may or may not be permissible.
> I have been quite shocked however by some of the language and useless
>negative remarks I've seen on this Forum.  Yes, I am new to it but I still
>don't think I have to wait until I get used to seeing people call pianos
>"POS" and "Merde" as well as comments intended solely to belittle someone
>else, their work or their reputation and that offer virtually nothing
>constructive, to say something about it.

This paragraph itself attempts to dictate that which may or may not be
permissible.

>    There has been far too much negagtivity in the PTG organization in the
>last few years.  It needs to cease.  Continuing it here will serve only a
>destructive purpose.

As Jim Bryant points out, this belongs on ptg-l, if it belongs anywhere.
Bill, you should not be able to keep a straight face while blaming others
for negativity. (And you are dictating again.)

>    Remember the old saying, "people who live in glass houses should not
>throw stones".

I'm in favor. You can start with yourself.

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:54:04
>     I would tend to agree with all of those who find Winston's contract
>overbearing and imposing.  I don't care for his music either.  I think if he
>would let me tune and voice the piano according to my own professionally
>developed techniques, he might truly be inspired that evening to create
>something memorable.

Might this possibly be considered badmouthing? At least here you are
badmouthing George Winston (about whom several others had good things to
say) instead of members of this list.

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:36:45
>     A few weeks ago, there were a nember of people who were taking quite
>some delight in trashing the reputation of Dr. Stevens and certain of the
>techniques described in this book.  While I noted that the book was basically
>obsolete, I did not see any value in what was being said about it in such a
>negative manner.

You are condemning people who disagree with you, and once again trying to
dictate what they say on the list.

>I have also seen that there were many who took great
>pleasure in defaming the brand name of Estonia, to which I did not comment
>but would note here that there was no useful information divuldged nor any
>purpose served other than an attempt at making the writers of these
>degradations look better in the eyes of their peers at the expense of those
>whom they have put beneath them.  There have been similar assaults on the
>Kimball name.

You say that list members write "degradations" for their own agrandizement.
Glass houses, again, please! It is possible to observe that people have made
comments unfavorable to Estonia pianos, but the motives you ascribe to them
for doing so are ENTIRELY your own invention! I am very sensitive to this,
since it is EXACTLY what you did to me, and was patently unjust. I remind
you that you are _publishing_ what you post to a list, and laws about
defamation of character do apply.

> Don't be
>surprised, however if you haven't started another flurry of reputation
>bashing simply by inquiring about how to find a particular book.

More of same ... Apparently members of the list are not allowed to have a
bad opinion of a book.

I consider everything quoted here to be "talking about his colleagues, their
works, and this list in an unbecoming fashion," and everything here was said
only this afternoon.

Bill, if you have something you want me to read, please put "private" in the
subject line, since I do not intend to ruin another peaceful Sunday
afternoon exploring your psychological problems.

I have retrieved the "stickie note" post for anyone who wishes a dose of
peace and reason. I will be glad to forward it.

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com