keytop replacment questions

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:53:07 +0000

Dave,

In article <971130222029_31307026@mrin53.mail.aol.com>, DGPEAKE@aol.com
writes
>The problem with pre-moulded key covers are numerous.  First of all they are
>.90 when ivory is around .20 thick.  They also are not made of ivorine and
>therefore show a lot of scratches.  The keytop also tends to crack.

I agree that there is a thickness issue and they are not suitable for
all pianos.  However, I disagree about the scratches and cracking I'm
unfamiliar with the product in the U.S. but I can only comment on the
pre-moulded key tops which are used in Europe.   We have no such
problems.  Most of the manufacturers use pre-mouldered plastic for their
upright pianos and if this was an ongoing problem they would soon
change.

I also agree with you that a grained type of plastic be it Ivorine or
cellulose has a far better appearance (or it may be the same product?).

I fit more pre-mouldered key tops these days not from personal
preference, I am requested to use these, most of my re-covering over the
years has been  for trade.   If you think of the cost of the raw
materials, pre-moulded sets of keys cost £7.00 in the U.K. and grained
cellulose costs about £30.00 to do a set.  So materials alone there is
considerable difference, when you start to take labour costs as well.
trade customers will not pay the difference no matter how nice they
look.  The French do produce a nice off white moulded key with slightly
longer tails.  I found these very useful and
appealing for older pianos.

Barrie,

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |