Soundboard Refinishing Query

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 13:33:27 -0700

> >Any suggestions that I might use?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Bill Simon
> >Phoenix

Sometime back I rebuilt a very nice heavy-built 6'8" Knabe for a client.
Before the current owner purchased the instrument, it was owned by a
"piana playur" who used it as a plant stand and dribbled a generous
amount of water on the board causing stains. Because the client had
limited funds, we agreed I would repair the old board rather than
replace it. Removing the water stains proved quite a challenge.

In short, I used the standard 2-part bleach from a hardware store. The
first chemical is the bleach and the second is a neutralizer. It is very
important to use the appropriate amount of the neutralizer because the
bleach can leave an acidic residue that may harm the wood fibers over
time if left untreated. At least that is what the instructions say.

I am personally not real hip on the idea of applying liquid to a
soundboard. My objective when repairing a board is to dry it out as much
as possible. Under the circumstances, however, I felt this to be the
only viable alternative. Once the bleaching was complete, the board had
to be completely re-dryed before any sealer could be applied. I also
found a few new minor cracks to repair after the board had completely
dried out again. Nevertheless, once a new decal was installed, along
with the refinished plate, new felt, and new strings, what remained of
the stains was barely noticeable. To this day the piano works and sounds
beautiful, and no new cracks have developed. I think a thourough drying
job followed by a well-saturated seal-coat is the secrete of success to
this type of repair. My preference, of course, providing the client has
the budget, would be a soundboard replacement. Sometimes you gotta do
what you gotta do.