Neck Pain

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Mon Dec 1 17:00 MST 1997

Dear Dave:  One of the most helpful methods of dealing with chronic nekc
problems was the subject of a class at the National convention several
years back.  This method, called the Alexander method, looks at how we
use our bodies and the incorrect postures we develop in our working
habits.  The first thing an Alexander techncian looks at is the way a
person holds his or her neck.  Most people seem to have adopted a neck
position that puts constant strain on the neck and shoulders that causes
constant recurring pain.  The teacher at the class was a RPT as well as
an Alexander technician, and had several of us in the class come up and
demonstrate how our tuning posture and technique.  All of us had to a
greater or smaller degree a bad habit that could not help but cause some
trouble.  For instance, I had developed the habit of pounding the keys
so hard while trying to settle strings that I was giving myself soreness
in that arm.  By the way, the teacher pointed out Jim Coleman, Sr. as a
techncian who demonstrated really good tuning posture (he ain't bad at
setting a temperment, either!).  I subsequently worked with a local
practicioner and got a lot of help.  I think a lot of therapies only try
to alleviate the symptom and do not get to the cause of the problem.  I
hope this has been of some help.  Patrick Poulson, RPT