Neck Pain

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 21:12:00 -0800

Dave,

Your pain is caused by asymetric muscle strain.  I'm sure you knew that
already, the description, (use of one set of muscles and tendons to the
exclusion of others) also describes the solution to your problem.
Regular excercise of all muscle groups will prevent the problem.  See a
Physical Threrapist and get their back execise list.

I had just what you have until I injured my back moving pianos and went
through physical therapy to heal it.  I rarely even get a twinge
anymore.

Karate execises also work, but not if your back is already injured.  The
important idea there is that all of your strength comes from your Chi
(the center of your being which is located about where your heart is).
If you start all your effort from there, then your muscles are always in
balance and won't get sore.  I used these exercises for years,  but got
away from it several years before I went into piano tuning.  A lot of it
is coming back now.

Hope this helps,

Warren

--