Janssen spinet bridge

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@CompuServe.COM
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 07:56:15 -0500

Dear Piano techs,

I went to tune a Janssen spinet last month and when I started in on the
bass section, the volume dropped off considerably. I looked below and saw
that part of the block that fastens the bass bridge to the soundboard was
missing. Evidently there were two parts to it; the left part was in place
(though loose), but the right part was completely missing. However I didn't
find a space large enough for it to have gone through for it to have
slipped out even if the piano were tipped sideways. (I didn't think to
check about upside down.) The first three questions I have are:

1. Why would the bridge block be missing?
2. How could it have gotten out?  (There's probably not much chance in
finding the original block as the piano has traded owners several times.)
3. How do I go about replacing it?

I have come to the following conclusions about the procedure for replacing
it:
1. Take careful measurements before loosening any strings.
2. Double weave some thin wire between the strings to conserve their
position.
3. As I loosen the strings, thread a wire in the eyes to maintain their
position (without twisting).
4. Remove the left hand block.
5. Make a copy of the left hand block and a new right hand block out of the
same material according to previous measurements.
6. Glue the blocks in place on the underside of the bridge. (Should I also
use small nails or screws?)
7. Glue the assembly to the sound board. (Again - should I also use small
nails or screws? There seem to be slight protrusions of such there now
where the missing block goes. Seems like there was a discussion about
gluing bridges to sound boards recently somewhere. (?)
8. Reinstall the strings and tune.

Now here are some other questions:
1. Does Charles Walter, who now owns Janssen, have any of these blocks in
stock, or have the specifications? It is a 1955 Janssen spinet, serial #
129313. How can I contact Charles Walter by e-mail? Are you there Charles?
2. If not, what material should I make the block of?

Now here's an engineering question:
Why does the bass bridge fasten to an overhanging block rather than be
glued directly to the soundboard?

Thanks for any answers to these questions. Please respond directly to my
e-mail address unless you think a general discussion on the list would be
profitable. I am signing on to the list again today.

Wally Scherer, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
E-mail: WallyTS@compuserve.com
Web page: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411
"Speak to strangers - all your friends once were!"