Neck Pain

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 14:09:12 -0500

Susan Kline wrote:

> >A year or two ago I developed pain in the traps and some nasty bursitis in
> >the shoulder from working too hard on Beethoven's Waldstein sonata.
> >
> >I saw an orthoapedic doctor, a chiropractor, a physical therapist, and also
> >took GLA supplements. I think the chiropractor helped somewhat and perhaps
> >the GLA supplements. However, following a friend's advice, I finally went
> >out and bought little 3 pound dumbells and began a simple routine of 5
> >exercises every other day. In a month or two, the results were amazing. I,
> >very slowly, worked up the weights to 5 pounds, then 8, then 10, 15, and 20.
> >
> >I'm not a physician (nor am I Arnold Swartzenegger) but the simple dumbell
> >workout has been very effective for me.
> >
> >Frank Leister
> >

> Dear Frank,
>
> Could you describe your 5 exercises, please? I think a lot of us pay too
> much for tuning in soreness and strain in back, neck, and shoulders.
> Anything that could help would be worth trying.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Susan
>
> Susan Kline
> P.O. Box 1651
> Philomath, OR 97370
> skline@proaxis.com
>
> "Cheer up! Things may be getting worse at a slower rate."
>                         -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Dear Susan:

I've been following this thread with interest. Three times a week I
visit a local spa with cybex machines and use the machines for Military
Presses and any other shoulder exercises. Not heavy lifting. More like
weight assissted stretching. Also do some Tai Chi exercises.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Dan Hallett, Jr.
Hallett's Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net