keytop replacement questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 18:31:02

At 06:20 PM 12/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings friends,
>Thank you all for the responses regarding keytops.  I still have not gotten
>much in the way of an answer to my specific question.  Being a keytop novice,
>I still am looking for more experienced hands to tell me how they finish the
>notches for a perfectly straight line across the keyboard.  I'm using molded
>tops with fronts until I gain a bit more skill in this.  Any input will help.
> Thanks.
>By the way, who has the current address for Vagias?  Where can I find sheet
>ivorine?
>Peace,
>Ray
>
>Hi Ray,
           If you are notching by hand filing, get your self a fine toothed
safety file, forget the exact name but the sides are smooth. We have a jig
with a counter top laminate trimmer that cuts the sides very nicely, but we
still notch  the front of the L by hand with a safety file. In the piano as
follows.

  1. Remove sharps.  And flats if Susan is reading this.
  2. Insert a 1" square strip of wood between the sharp and natual B/R pins.
  3. Clamp a 48" straight edge from note 1 to 88 with two small C clamps at
the      line that you wish to file, with a little pressure holding the
keys down      with one hand file to your metal straight edge with the
other. perfect      every time. Almost dummy proof.

  Some keys require roughing down if there is quite a bit of excess material.

  I also need all the jigs that I can get to keep things straight.
Hope this helps.
Roger.

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan