Key sizes -Reply

Vince Mrykalo mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Tue, 02 Dec 1997 21:44:16 -0700

48" is standard, but I had Bob Marinelli make me a set of keys for a
1964 Steinway B, the original keyboard measured 47 3/4" and he made
them to the standard.  I kind of like the idea of a slightly narrower
keyboard though.
Vince

>>> David Porritt <dporritt@swbell.net> 12/02/97 07:48pm >>>
A couple of weeks ago a student here did a recital on our newer (1991)
Steinway "D".  After it was over, he asked if the keys were wider than
normal.  We went and measured the keyboard of that piano and our older
one (1982).  The older was 48" from A0 - C88.  The newer was 48 3/8".

Since that time, I have measured several pianos and found quite a
disparity.  The widest was our 1920s Hamburg "O" at 48.5".  I measured
Kawai KG-2D today at 48 3/16".  Has there ever been a "standard" for
keys?  If not, why not?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts