Janssen spinet bridge

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 21:49:27 -0800

Gregory Torres wrote:

> Wally:
>
> The reason the bass bridge is on a "shelf" is  so it contacts the soundboard
> in a more flexible part and improves the tone (somewhat)
>
> Good luck
> Greg Torres

I agree that the most common reason for placing the bass bridge (and occasionally the low end of the tenor bridge) is to
place the contact point on a more flexible part of the bridge. I disagree that this practice improves the tone. They tend to
be so flexible that they end up functioning as an energy absorber. It is a rare piano that can't better be designed without
one of these aberrations.

-- ddf