Key sizes

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:14:05 -0500

At 10:11 PM 12/2/97 -0800, you wrote:

>I was once told that there was supposed to have been an agreement among
piano builders that the head scale width was to be
>1220 mm (48.03"). When I designed a piano using this head scale, no one
would build it. Including the company that said it
>was supposed to be the "standard." Each key manufacturer, it seems, has
their own standard. Some of the widest have been the
>Asian manufacturers. Go figure.
>
>-- ddf

  As a player, I have found this disparity annoying, particularly the recent
propensity for the wider scale.  Not all players have the hands of Andre Watts.

   ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.