Boston Grands - Reply to Newton Hunt's post

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Wed, 03 Dec 1997 08:03:46 +0000

ralph m martin wrote:

> Hi Newton and Jerry
>
> I don't really know what you are asking, Jerry. Are you referring to an
> outside 6th and inside 3rd as in F-D beats approximately the same as G-B?
> What you are really hearing when all four are played is a common 7th
> chord. A lot of tuners use this test including myself.
>
> Ralph Martin

Ralph,
In my original post, that was what I had in mind: F-D approximately
equal to G-B, and also, as you mention, playing all four notes together
as a common 7th. But I also picked up on Newtons reply, i.e. the F-A 3rd
should be about 1 beat slower than the F-D sixth.

Thanks again to all for the input.