tomorrow

Al Jeschke jeschkea@cadvision.com
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:03:49 -0700

> the Liverpool philomonic is playing these concerts are organised 12 months
>in advance, so why did they have to leave it four days before to tell me>
>
>Barrie.

Barrie & List,

I'm certain that late notice to service for special concerts has occured to
a good number of piano technicians.  It reminded me of the time (prior to
moving to this city) that I was called to tune the piano for a Louis
Armstrong concert with just 3/4 hour time to raise pitch and tune, and the
pitch raise was nearly 1/4 tone.  Because of the number of people they were
expecting to attend, the concert stage was set up in a hockey arena.  The
chairs were set on insulation panels, which covered the ice.  Since the
figure skating club had an old upright at the rink, it ended up to be the
piano they chose to use.  I was lucky that the corroded strings held.  My
assistant on the job was the temperature in the building - it helped to
speed up the tuning process.  About two years later they did a little
better.  Same person, same place, same thing, only I managed to get a full
hour this time, and did not need to raise pitch.  Makes one wonder how some
of the organizers think, or get their jobs?

Al Jeschke  RPT
Calgary, Alberta