Bent Action Rail

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 02:58:08 -0500

Paul McCloud wrote:

> List:
>         I have a moving company repair job that I would like to get some
> opinions on.  The piano is a Yamaha U1E, about 6 years old.  It was
> apparently let go and landed on the front arms and top area (upright
> piano).  I will be doing the cosmetic repairs to the poly finish, but
> tonight I discovered that the action rail is bent.  The dampers don't
> work in the center of the piano, since they are too far from the
> strings.  This particular action doesn't have a center action bracket
> (which would have saved the action from damage). I am not sure whether
> to try just bending the rail back, or to recommend replacement.  If I
> replace the rail, I am not sure how much to estimate, since there may be
> a lot of regulating to do.  If I bend it, I'm not sure where or how to
> hold the rail, since all the action parts are screwed to it.  Obviously,
> if I have to remove the parts to clamp the rail to straighten it, I
> might as well replace it.  Thanks for any input.
>         Paul McCloud, RPT
>         San Diego, CA

Hi Paul,
I agree with Roger Jolly's advice to you, and second the motion that
you get paid.  I have had much difficulty dealing with moving companies
when it comes to insurance claims.  One insurance adjuster told me point
blank that they would only consider half of the estimated value of the
damage, or the piano.
All the best!

Brad Smith, RPT
Manchester, NH