Bent Action Rail

Marcel Carey mcpiano@microtec.net
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 06:31:07

Hi Paul,

I had this situation a few years back except the piano was new and it fell
while in it's box. There were ne cabinet damages but the action rail had
bent. Yamaha Canada advised me that the rail could be bent back. I just
supported both ends of the action, removed a few butts in the center and
then used a piece of wood and pushed it back. I really had to push rather
than bang on it. I used a thread to measure the gap in the middle and was
able to bring it back very close to a straight line. Then comes the
regulation. First start with the pedal damper lift and then the spoons. I
took me about 3 hours and the piano has been fine since then. I think this
procedure would take you less time than replacing the complete rail.

Marcel Carey, PRT
Sherbrooke, QC