tuning wrench stiffness et al

C. Mike Swendsen swendsec@cadvision.com
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 21:44:50 -0700

For those of you who are concerned with the bending of the shaft of a on
the tuning wrenches with the ball type handle:
I have found a nicley machinable steel that has very little give.  It
was designed for machine shafts, and doesn't work harden.  If that isn't
stiff enough you can get drill rod and have it heat treated to just
aobut any stifness you want up to so stiff it shatters before it bends.
I also prefer to install a brass insert into the handle and thread it to
receive the shaft... this also stiffens up the entire feel.  NIckle
plating makes the steel part look better and more professional overall.
I like good looking tools.
I also have experimented ( read fooled around) with the shape of the
handle.  I've tried some interesting variations from flat to egg shaped,
oval to looking like a drawer pull.   The round ball is still my
favorite, but some other tuners who have tried the other shapes like
them as well.  I have also tried various woods for the handle and
cocobolo (sp) is very nice, very hard, heavy and doesn't need finishing
just polishing. ( and it's a dark colour so it doesn't show dirt.)
I experimented (see above comment) with the head angle and length a bit
as well.  I found that for me 15 degrees or 17.5 degrees works best,
using the 17.5 degree head allows the wrench handle to clear plate in
grands, usually.   I like a short head, it helps to keep the tuning pin
from flagpoling ( which would probably be due to my poor tuning
technique.)