Imported used pianos

Al Jeschke jeschkea@cadvision.com
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 22:40:56 -0700

Roger & List,

I know your concern Roger, and it might be in your interest to consider the
length of time those pianos have been there.

  We all learn form experience, and I did from one particular piano that
ended up in my shop for a rebuild job.  It had come to this country via a
furniture dealer, who was importing used pianos, many of which were from
areas where the pianos were subjected to high humidity, whereas this midwest
region of Canada is relatively dry.  The piano had been here for one year
when the owner, who had purchased this particular piano, contacted me.  I
provided an estimate, taking into consideration the additional repairs
required, as caused by the former high humidity.  The client had another
piano for use, so the piano was stored in my shop for approximately a year,
after which time I did the restoration work.  To my great misfortune I was
faced with a good amount of extra work, as caused by the additional year
drying out time, the result of which was greater than that of the first
year.  I had no recourse, but was faced with the additional (gratis)
$1000.00 work.

The lesson I learned - never do any restoration work to a piano from a humid
area for at least two years after it arrives in a dry area!

Al Jeschke RPT
Calgary, Alberta