Handling Dogs: Was Re: tomorrow

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 08:45:46 -0500

O.K. Fellows, you're getting close.

I am a dog person, a cat person, a horse person, guinea pigs, goats, you
name it, I like it and get along with it.

As Warren said, you need to understand the other creature and operate on its
terms.  Would you speak to a client who spoke only Spanish in English?
Obviously, any method needs to adapt to the precise situation, but here are
some tips.

When you meet a dog, bend over or squat down to its level.  Greet it before
the owner!  Ask it's name right away.  Use the name.  It wants to know who
and what you are and how you relate to those who live in the house.  The dog
thinks that's its job.  These positions also protects your nethers by the
way and keeps it from jumping on you.  Put your stuff down, let the dog
sniff everything.  If you moved a bit slow, (perhaps hung up getting through
the door with your stuff), and the dog is jumping on you, push it down from
its chest.

As Warren said, offer it your hand, underhand, move smoothly, gently but
firmly,  talk in friendly tones to the dog (by the way, they will sense your
insincerity well, so lighten up).  "Hi, how are you, aren't you beautiful!"
Rub below the ear on the neck and begin talking to the owner while you're
petting the dog.  Hold the collar firmly if it's trying to establish moves
on you.

  Gradually position yourself so you are over the dog's neck.  You can be
rubbing it with two hands, whatever works.  You've just won a dominance
move, and the dog loved it.  If the dog flops and lets you rub its belly
you've a friend for life.

  Then the most important tip.

  If you act irritated with the dog, the owners won't like you.  You can
always say with a smile, "I'm sorry to bother you, but would it be o.k. if
you put the dog in another room so I can concentrate?"

   Good luck!

  p.s. you can only contract those cat diseases if you get scratched or you
clean it's litter box.

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.