Strip muting problem #2

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:39:46 +0000

Hi André

How's life,

>What is so special about muting the entire instrument?
>Well, the middle string of each unison is the best string for
tuning....

On what grounds do come to this conclusion. please elaborate.

>by
>muting all unisons (except the bass strings) we only use the middle
strings.
>If we start tuning the temperament, we usually have only one octave, or
one
>octave and a half.
>I use the one octave temperament, meaning, that by muting the unisons I
"only"
>tune 13 strings.
I assume you do checks as you go down the bass and treble which will
show
up faults in your scale if any, so you can re-adjust.

>After having finished the temperament and bass section, I turn right
into the
>treble.
>I still have only one string per unison, and it is a pleasure to listen
to and
>very easy for tuning too.
>It is amazing how much more we can concentrate because of this
procedure.
I agree to treble is more audible, less distractions to contend with
However, you still have to put the unison in and put up with the
distraction when you check you octave when you have out the unison in

>And...finishing the basic tuning with a mute thus becomes "two pieces
of cake".
>It is a very safe and fast method..mistakes on the way up can easily be
>corrected.
>After having done all this, tuning the remaining unison "becomes three
pieces of
>cake"...we can relax and concentrate on "setting the pins" and we do
not have to
>worry anymore about the tuning being correct or not...we have already
made a
>perfect tuning, finishing the unisons becomes a pleasurable way of
earning easy
>money! (to buy a piece of cake for your partner or a friend)
Part of a stable tuning is not just setting the pin, it is setting the
string. on eyes strings not as big a problem you way, however on return
string you have to  equalise the tension on both returns, so running
down
the unison is more than likely to put the odd middle string out as you
go along so I would not say it is a piece of cake.

having said all of that at the end of the day it does not matter how we
tune as
long as you get there in the end and the customer is happy.

Take care

Barrie,

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |