Imported used pianos

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:38:18 EST

Roger, Ralph, list;
  There being a place to discuss this "problem" better than Pianotech?  I
don't think so. It is the appropiate place IMHO.
  That being said I need to put in my two cents worth on the subject.  I
personally have absolutely no qualms in taking one of the "domestic
production" pianos and rebuiding it for resale or for a customer. I have done
so for the past five or six years and have had absolutely zero (0) problems.
None of the traumatic happenings that Roger is afraid of and certainly nothing
that does not happen to pianos made for the "American Market". I have units
from the mountains of NC to the coast,on the beach, in FL spanning dry and wet
climates.
 I am selective about the pianos I will rebuild and very pleased with the
results.  No piano, that leaves my shop, leaves with just two pedals. Either
it has a working sostenuto or it has a bass sustain pedal. Very
carefully.......let me say that the only major, if thats what it was, problem
I have had in this period of time is once when I neglected to hand rub the
underneath of the large portion of the top on a C3.
  Anyone that believes the Japanese will accept inferior workmanship or
materials in their own "domestic" pianos is not dealing with the facts.  The
Japanese people are insistent on quality in their pianos more so than
Americans tend to be.  In spite of Mr. Hayashidas protestations to the
contrary the material used in "Domestic" production may differ in drying
(doubtful) but not in quality.
  The problems one sees in these "Japanese domestic" pianos are the same exact
problems we see in our "domestic pianos", i.e., If you take a S&S or Baldwin
and put in on the plains of Mantobia, without proper precautions, you will
experience the exact same problems that you will with a "Jdp".
 I do agree with you, Roger, that there does seem to be an inordinate amount
of "green" gunk on some of these instruments and, like you, have consigned the
cause to be indutrial pollutants.
  As long as there are dealers willing to foist these, 'used', mostly out of
production, pianos off on customers, as top of the line instruments, there
will be a problem with them but the problem is one of dishonest dealers,
dishonest and/or incompetent techs, and not inferior instruments..........
Just one more opinion.
Jim Bryant (FL)
"just because it is true does not mean that it is absolute"
Faintly Dull