Steinway D strings

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 10:46:06 +0000

Dear List Members: I have been servicing a Steinway D for a local
classical music organization for the last nine years.  The piano, a
beautiful 1903 Louis XIV art case instrument, was reconditioned in the
early '80s in London and brought over here.  It was refinished,
restrung, given new hammers, shanks, and backchecks,  and the original
wippens refelted.  The bridge in the upper midtreble has a curved bridge
pin line, i.e., the pins are not parallel to the line of the agraffes.
This area has always made tunind problematical, and seems to be becoming
more so.  I noticed this problem again yesterday, and was considering
the possible solutions when a string broke at the V bar at D7.  I seem
to recall a discussion in the past about the need to restring this area
of piano in concert instruments sooner than on other pianos.  Could
someone recap that discussion for me, as well as the problem of the
curved bridge pin line?  It seems to me that recapping the bridge in
this section and realigning the pins would improved the unison tuning,
but I really don't know what the proper procedure would be to accomplish
this.  Thanks for your input, Patrick Poulson, RPT