Imported used pianos

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 06 Dec 1997 14:53:00

Hi Jim,
       Thanks for your reply, however you do live in sunny Florida, 60% RH
is probably your extreme low.  It is not uncommon to get indoor lows of 20%
and less in this neck of the woods during winter, in fact we are drier than
the Sahara Desert.
    As I understand from the Yamaha personel, and techs that have
participated in there 5 week C & A grand training prigramme in Japan, they
do in fact have several production standards, to suit the final
destination.  The super dry specs for our climate would give another type
of problem in other destinations, (e.g. Pressure ridges in sound boards
etc.)  The company endevours to use the best construction methods for the
specific areas, that makes the product different not inferior.
   South east Asia in the monsoon season is wet even beyond your wildest
dreams.
therefore fungus and mold is common, termite type insects also very common
in these countries. I believe their story that they have regional problems,
that they engineer solutions for. North America is the largest and most
consumer driven economy in the world. Why would they not cater to us? Three
pedals is the classic example, so if they accomodate here, why not else
where. The most serious problem with this continent for any piano maker is
the great divergents of climatic conditions. Many European companies have
found this out the hard way.   We are talking about the largest exporter of
pianos in the history of piano making, they have technical people stationed
in the primary markets of the world that feed back technical imformation
that is acted upon.
  We have all witnessed the company's commitment to our profession at
conventions and at dealer sponsored workshops, so if they say that they
have different standards for different regions, I am more than willing to
accept their statements.
  Once we have dried these units down to the point that I think that they
have stabalised, we will rebuild them.
  Its the dishonest dealers and techs that is the real problem, but it is
our job to make people aware, to be very cautious when dealing with these
units, and the type of dealership the are dealing with, and do the get a
written warranty that is worth anything.
  I also think they might be a reasonable buy in Florida, but a definite no
go in North Dakota, unless dried down and refurbished in some way.
Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.