DOG - in piano

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 20:37:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols wrote:

> At 10:11 PM 12/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Yes, I got a call like this once. Being the tender hearted soul that I
> >am, I went out on the call. The address was fictitious.

Sometimes, however, the problem can be real, and in those cases, sometimes
it's better if you CAN'T find a tech to come out and save your beloved
animal. A few years ago a lady connected with a local newspaper had her
kitten crawl under the bass strrings in her grand piano, and get stuck.
She got out her phonebook and started calling technicins to find one who
could come out to effect the rescue. Since it was a weekday afternoon,
virtually everybody who was any good was out working, so she didn't find
anyone until she contacted "Roger's Ripoff Piano Service" under the R's.
"Roger" , who had plenty of time on his hands--for obvious reasons--was
sitting right by the phone, hoping for a call, and promised to come
right over. He did. In the meantime the lady called the newspaper and had
them send a reporter over to cover the story. He did. The upshot was a
picture in the paper the following day of the lady, her piano, and "Roger"
holding the rescued cat. Most interesting of all was "Roger's response to
the reporter's question of: "Was the piano damaged by the incident?".
"Roger's response? "When you have to let down the tension on strings (as
he had to do to rescue the cat), they lose their tone-quality and ability
to hold a tune, so we're going to have to replace the bass strings in the
piano, but all in all it's a small price to pay for being able to save the
cat." Good ol' Roger's probably still sitting beside a phone somewhere,
wondering why it doesn't ring more often!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net