wandering soundboard cracks

Stevepnoco Stevepnoco@aol.com
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:36:43 EST

<< The five Steinways at the Jubilee Auditorium in Calgary sit at about that
 humidity all the time. The oldest is an original S&S (never rebuilt) D from
 1956 with new factory hammers and shanks. The soundboards, bridges and
 tuning pins are good on all seven pianos (there are two Heintzmans as
 well), although the 1978 D has had a couple of dozen pins replaced with 3-0s.

 If you can keep the humidity fairly stable at that level there shouldn't be
 too many problems, although you may have some repinning to do. It's so dry
 here that even when the main bowl (2750 seats) is full the humidity doesn't
 change much. Singers hate it, but the pianos don't seem to mind if you keep
 them serviced properly. I suspect the dryness actually preserves them a bit.

Dear John,

You a very lucky to have such stable low humidity.  Origional new pianos put
into low humidity situations will most likely not have problems as long as the
humidity stays low.  I would be concerned about the pianos that were
humidified by the school's humidifier then having the humidity drop to and
remain at around 15% after the humidifier goes on the blink. I just didn't
want any confusion about the benefits of steady low humidity from the
beginning of a piano's life and the danger of a humidified piano going into a
very dry situation.

Best Regards,

Steve Cunningham