Imported used pianos

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:07:39 EST

<<Jim, if I read Roger's observations correctly, I don't think he was
referring to pianos slated for American consumption, nor was he inferring
that the pianos in question were of inferior materials so much as he was
appalled by the condition of the pianos that were and are, represented to
be in fair condition and are, indeed, in very rough condition.>>

Ralphus;
 I didn't think he was. I thought we were discussing the imported pianos from
Japan that were made for the Japanese Domestic Market..............but if a
piano made for the NA market spends its first few years in FL, or TX, or CA,
and then is taken to the Midwest or the plains in Canada I believe it will
exhibit the same characteristics as those imported from the Domestic Japanese
market, IMHO.
  Hopefully Roger didn't buy his two instruments from a retailer but rather
from a whoilesaler.  The degree of "grading "that goes on in the wholesale
market varies widely and wildly, i.e. there are some whoilsalers you can
depend on and some that you can't depend on.  Unfortunately it takes some
investment to find this out.
There is a wholesaler in NM from whom I would not hesitate to sell
instruments, sight unseen, as he advertises them to be and there are others
who have earned the distiction of being in the "trust your neighbor but tie up
your camel at night and a loaded gun by your bed category".  Unfortunately
there seems to be more of the latter rather than the former.
  Something we need to keep in mind with these and all used instruments is
that the "grades" are for 'used' instruments and not for 'new' instruments.
  Suffice it to say that we need not be afraid of these pianos but we do need
to be very selective as to that which we will tackle.
Give Maggie a hug for me.
Jim Bryant (FL)