Perfect Pitch

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Mon, 08 Dec 1997 10:48:09 +0000

Dear all:  Mark Stivers of the Sacramento Valley chapter presented a
program a our meeting several years ago in which he presented the
results of survey he did of his customers who claimed to have perfect
pitch.  He did not do actual measurements of their abilities, but
presented in anecdotal form their descriptions of their abilities and
history.  It turns out that there was quite a range of "perfect pitch"
capabilities among them.  Some were indeed born with the ability, and
some seemed to have developed it over years of exposure to music.  Those
born with it seemed to have the highest degree of accuracy, and could
recognize the pitch of almost any sound, and did associate colors with
different tones.  Some instrumentalists could recognize the notes only
if they were played on their own instruments.  A few said that they were
no longer active musically and found that their pitch recognition
ability had lessened quite a bit.
	The first person I tuned for who had "perfect pitch" was a retired
Broadway arranger.  He said that perfect pitch was an asset in his work,
because he could write out charts and know exactly how they would sound
when played.  On the other hand, he said that his sense was so acute
that he could hear when any member of any orchestra or opera performance
was the slight bit off, and it was like hearing nails on a chalkboard.
This prevented him from enjoying almost any performance; even major
sympony and opera performances would have notes that were out of tune
and ruin the event for him. In this case, I think "perfect pitch" was
indeed as much a curse as a blessing. Patrick Poulson, RPT