polyester finish repair tips

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 11:48:33 -0800

Rick:
	I have been doing polyester repair for a number of years, and I'd be
glad to answer any questions you may have.
	I will say up front that the clear poly repair is difficult (at least
for me) if the veneer is damaged underneath.  I have had some luck
swabbing the cracks with alcohol stain and/or dripping CA (superglue)
into cracks of polyester.  Sometimes the poly is cracked underneath, but
the surface is still sealed, so it won't always work.  If anyone has a
foolproof way to repair clear poly, down to the wood level, I'd sure
like to hear about it.  (Especially matching the wood color beneath the
poly, short of completely stripping the poly off and starting over).
I've tried inlaying small pieces of veneer, which is better than trying
to paint in grain lines (looks funny under the poly), but almost no
success at a perfect repair.
	Now, if you have the high polish black (ebony), I can help you with
that.  If you have the right materials and do it right, I say ANYONE can
to it, and get a good result.  Let me know what you have purchased
(Konig, Allied Industries, Surf shop, ?) and I'll tell you how to
proceed.  If you like, you can e-mail me privately.
	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego, CA
	smccloud@ix.netcom.com