e.t. comment for your response add

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 20:12:18 -0600

I would agree that before beat counting came in to play that "the degree of
roughness" was what was used to tune with.  My own teacher used that very
same type terminology to describe that the B-3 to tune F#-3 interval was
"the roughest".  This is probably where the "Art" comes into play in to
tuning.
	It is always amazing to me that in earlier times the degree of accuracy
and craftsmanship was so high even though there were not really accurate
tools as we have access to today.  It does show that it is not the tools
available but the degree of human craftsmanship is the main ingredient for
any well done job.  It is the care an attitude that the person has towards
what he is doing that is ultimate in importance.  The name "mechanic" has
always been the most praiseworthy name I, or anyone else, could ever be
called and I hope to be remembered as one who strove for this goal.  I know
quite a few "mechanics" myself.  I think those of you who are, know who you
are.                        I salute you.

James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"Only my best is good enough"