keytop replacment questions ( and ivorine story )

Richard Wagner Rjwag@pacifier.com
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 23:09:43 -0800

Ivorine is still available in sheets from Schaff.

It is flamable 'though not explosively so as was the old (*)Celluloid stuff.

When you're machining it, you have to be careful not to generate too much
friction.  ie: if you're routing it, don't force the work or it'll catch fire.

Also, I'm sure that it's wise to use a mask, as it does produce a definite
camphor-like odor, which probably isn't nearly as good for you as
"Mentholatum" is.

(*)The Journal had an interesting article on key covering materials some
time back.  Among other things, it mentioned Cellulose, and its penchant
for catching fire.

TRIVIA QUESTION: Where did the term "Hot under the collar" come from?

If you find the article to which I'm refering, you'll know.

Sorry.  I don't know which issue it appeared in, but I bet Steve Brady does.

                                       Richard Wagner RPT