VJ-LUBE Formula Teflon paint

Sun, 07 Dec 1997 23:19:08 -0800

Oleg Isaac wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Could somebody gives me the formula for VJ LUBE (weights, or quantity)
> (I have Lanolin, Vaselin and talc, and even teflon powder)

VJ Lube, if memory serves, is made up of equal parts of lanolin and Vaseline with enough talc mixed in to give it body.

> Del, what proportions of teflon, do you use ? I tried with vaseline and
> it gives me a very solid product, not easy to apply.

Again, if memory serves, to mix what I call VJ-T Lube I use micro-ground Teflon powder in place of talc. As with regular VJ-Lube
mix equal parts of lanolin and Vaseline and add Teflon powder to give the mixture the body you want. You might want to still mix
in just a bit of talc to make the mixture act a little bit thixotropic. Just experiment until you come up with the right
proportions for your need. If you want more detailed proportions, you'll have to wait until I mix up a new batch. I'll make notes
and pass on the information then.

> P.S. What is the "Teflon" or "Modbylum Bysulfite" paint reference ? from
> Protek or any other source.

Teflon is the trade name for DuPont's tetrafluoroethylene. Its major advantage for us is that in its ground-up, or powdered, state
it is very lubricous. It is rubbed into leather knuckles to make the surface more slippery and to help keep the jacks from
squeaking against the burnished leather. It is also the active lubricating agent in the various "dry" Teflon spray products and in
certain liquids such as several McLube products. We purchase our Teflon powder from Bill Spurlock.

Molybdenum disulfide resembles graphite in appearance, but is a lead-gray color rather than black. It has a greasy feel and can be
used in place of graphite is some cases. It does not make quite as much of a mess as does graphite. It is not used much in piano
work, especially with the availability of Teflon powder.

-- Del