Imported used pianos

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 12:28:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Roger.

Please accept my apologies. I sometimes fire off posts which are not at
all what they first appear to be on the surface. That was the case here
and I fear that you misinterpreted what I was saying. Far from trying to
"chastise" YOU for referring to pressure ridges as a problem, my post was
meant as a spoof, a farce, a "shot", if you will, at those who contend
that pressure ridges, far from being a problem, actually constitute a
virtue and are to be viewed as a sign of a superior soundboard. What a
crock! I am decidedly NOT in that group. My feeling is that if a piano--
be it new, nearly-new, or old--has a soundboard which exhibits pressure
ridges, it has a soundboard which is predisposed to failure. Buying such
an instrument is like buying a house built directly on St. Andrea's
Fault-- it's not a matter of IF, it's merely a matter of WHEN. As Del
recently said:
	Compression ridges are, by definition, areas of wood in which
	the wood fiber has been stressed beyond its failure point. The
	cracks are ALREADY there. They are just waitimg to open up and
	become visible as the wood dries out enough to make this pos-
	sible.
Thus I put the argument that pressure ridges are the signs of a superior
soundboard in the same category that I do that statement by the salesman
who tried to explain away the empty player action cavity in an old Dou-
Art grand as being a "specially tuned acoustic chamber". In other words,
totally specious.

The problem is that in a world overrun with hypesters, hustlers and spin-
artists, the truth is becoming an incresingly rare commodity and it's get-
ting more and more difficult to separate fact from fiction. Fortunately,
for those of us involved with pianos, there still exist people like Del
to act as a counterbalance, to help keep the record straight, and to give
us the facts as they really are, rather than as those who have a financial
stake in the outcome frequently misrepresent them to be.

Once again, I'm sorry if you misunderstood the intent of my post. I was in
NO WAY criticizing your statement about pressure ridges constituting a
problem, I was--obliquely--AGREEING with it. Hopefully, if you reread my
original post you will now see that that was my intent. If you have not
yet encountered the "pressure ridges are the sign of a superior sound-
board" argument, you eventually will. Keep reading Del's stuff and you'll
be well prepared for when that happens.

Keep those fine posts rolling in!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net