Morons and best strings

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Mon, 8 Dec 97 22:59:31 -0000

Barrie wrote:

>When you are doing concert work I assume the piano s you are tuning,
>just need to be tweaked, so if you put your muting strip in, does this
>not disturb the piano.
>
>Few months ago I did the Ribble Valley International Music festival it
>was spread over a fortnight, the piano was tuned 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
>after a few days most of my time I was sat there picking my nose as
>there was nothing to do,  just tune the odd unison. would you strip mute
>the piano in this situation?  or would you use just one wedge?

André answers:

No Barrie, that wouldn't be necessary.
I use the strip mute for making an entire new tuning.
Tell you something else:
I use the strip mute also when I decide to use my machine, for instance when I have to tune an instrument that is un-tunable with yer normal ears, or, when it is too much and stupid work like pitch raising etc.
Why the strip mute?
To save battery power.
I mute within 1 minute, I do a very quick run with the machine...maybe 10 minutes including the bass, or even less.
I stomp up the unisons.
I mute again.
My machine was on for about 20 minutes doing a double tuning.
When an instrument isn't that much out of tune, one run with the machine will take 10 minutes...click! off. I can do many tunings like that without re-charging the battery.

>Andre is it that your wife has to wash your muting strips :-)

My wife goes bonkers about me because I am crazy about pianos.
(plus the time I spend on the pianotech list or email friends)

Anyway...I love my strip mutes...it's clean tuning.

Friendly greetings from :

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, the Netherlands