Soundboard Thoughts

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:21:46 -0600 (CST)

Interesting thought. Might change the frequency response on one side enough
to not cancel the other and kill the tone.

Observation: Even if this minimized or canceled the immediate tone problems
in that area, there would still be the problem of torque with humidity
changes. I think this is what drives the board flat at this point far faster
than it flattens elsewhere. Sort of a "saddle" effect, with the killer
octave at the low point of the curve. I think both the tone problems and
early failure in this area are from the same problem. Tag!

Ron

At 11:11 AM 12/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Curiosity aroused:
>
>The "killer octave" has equal lengths of rib fore and aft of the bridge, and
>the tone has trouble there. Has anyone ever tried making the ribs the same
>length fore and aft, but making them much lighter and more flexible on one
>side than on the other?
>
>What fun ... reminds me of that great string seating thread.
>
>Susan

 Ron Nossaman