Another Chickering

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 08:45:28 -0500

Hello List!

"While you're here ... could you go and have a look at my boyfriend's piano
to see if it is worth working on?"  (This was Thanksgiving, I was 300 miles
from home and I hadn't bothered bringing any tools.)

What I saw was a Chickering 'Quarter-Grand' serial number 123675, length
5'3".  It had received only minimal maintenance despite heavy use.  Parts
were very worn, out of regulation, but not broken.  (I'll provide further
details upon request so I won't bore everybody on this list.)

My questions are:

Has anybody had experience rebuilding one of these critters?  What were
some of the challenges encountered?  Were there problems restoring
(rebushing etc.) action parts or are there suitable replacement parts
available?  (I'm well aware that Chickering was quite the innovator.)  When
all was said and done, did you feel the results were worth the effort?  Or,
were you left with the sense that the customer was left with just another
little 5'3" grand?

Any comments will be greatfully appreciated.  Thank you.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net