Another Chickering

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 10:15:34 -0700

At 08:45 AM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello List!
>What I saw was a Chickering 'Quarter-Grand' serial number 123675, length
>5'3".
>My questions are:
>
>Has anybody had experience rebuilding one of these critters?  What were
>some of the challenges encountered?

Real tight tolerances for space was the only real challenge on the last one
I did. It happened to have a little history, as it belongs to Mrs. W. Dean
Howell, a technician of great renown before his passing.
	Hammer clearance and damper spacing will be as snug as you can get. Make
sure your flanges are secure, maybe re-paper the rail for friction, or
something. If one shifts, they ALL do! hahahaha

  When
>all was said and done, did you feel the results were worth the effort?

You bet.

  Or,
>were you left with the sense that the customer was left with just another
>little 5'3" grand?

Not at all, of course, Mrs. Howell has a pretty good ear, and plays ALOT.
Dean had experimented a fair amount with this unit, and it was an adventure.

>Any comments will be greatfully appreciated.  Thank you.

Well, that was any, and you're welcome.
Guy