Soundboard Thoughts

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 13:31:35 -0600 (CST)

Hi Newton,

It would split twice as fast? If it were taller than it was wide, would it
"break off" with a major pitch raise? How about "flagpoling bridge syndrome"?

The splitting part brings me to something I wanted to ask anyway. Is there a
reasonable body of empirical evidence that horizontally laminated bridges
are evil, or is it just that since they are found on evil pianos, it's
assumed? Have horizontally laminated bridges been actually installed in
decent pianos and tested?

Ever a "lert" and in anticipation, Ron

At 12:21 PM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Why ARE bridges so wide?  What, if anything, would happen if a bridge
>were half its current width?
>
>	Newton

 Ron Nossaman