keytop replacment questions

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:07:29 -0500

At 01:07 PM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter,
>
>Is it illegal to own a piano with ivory keytops? Is it illegal to replace
>missing ivory keytops with recycled ivory keytops? Dave mentions a product
>called "Ivorine" which you state contains ivory. I do not believe this
>material contains ivory, if it did, wouldn't it be illegal to manufacture?
>
>Does anyone know what the real laws are regarding ivory as it applies to our
>profession?
>
>John Piesik

   You may own such an instrument, you may replace keytops with recycled
ivory keytops.  The problems happen when importing ivory.  Then it gets
nasty.   In the spirit of discouraging fresh ivory collection, the import
offices are overconservative about importing good made of ivory.  It is
necessary to prove the age of the item.  I'm not sure what the precise
requirements are.

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.