Old stored Steck

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 18:43:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, RptBob1 wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> A customer of mine called today for an opinion regarding a 1934 Steck small
> grand that had been in storage for over ten years in an unheated storage area.
>
> This piano has "sentimental" value and he wanted my opinion on moving it from
> Boston to Cleveland.  More information: he noted rust around the tuning pins
> and bridge hitch pins.   The area it was stored in was similar to a garage-not
> attached to a house.

Why not locate a reliable technician/rebuilder in Boston, invest a
few dollars, and have him come out and evaluate the piano in person,
before spending the money necessary to ship a piano to Ohio which might
turn out to be nothing but a pile of firewood? Not only is it likely that
the equally tough Beantown winters and summers have taken their toll on
the instrument, but one has to remember that by 1934 a Steck piano was
no longer it once had been.  But then, come to think of it, neither
am I!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net