Soundboard Thoughts

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:55:12 -0600 (CST)

Hi Barrie,

Wouldn't you have to use an agraffe with a built in bearing bar to have any
chance at all? (I've got a half dozen of these, but I don't know what they
came out of.) Otherwise, with modern wire sizes and scale tensions,  I
wouldn't think you would have anywhere near enough bearing angle to keep the
string in contact with a single agraffe during play. Two staggered agraffes,
for side bearing, would need a bridge wide enough to carry them and it would
probably split apart from the holes or mounting hardware unless... TA-DA you
used horizontally laminated bridges. I knew I could get that in there
somehow. I'm wondering if a narrower treble bridge is that big a deal in the
first place. Plenty of existing bridges are tapered toward the bottom in the
treble already to narrow the footprint on the board (and get it back away
from the edhe of the board, I presume). Do you suppose the benefits of a
narrower bridge are positive enough to balance the already mentioned
potential problems? Tell me more.

Ron

At 10:24 PM 12/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>why not use agraf on the sound board bridge, so you could use a narrower
>bridge, ERARD did a lot of work on this,  an so did Broadwood, I have
>worked on a Broadwood with  a type of agraf, however the bridge was just
>as thick as a conventional bridge.
>
>At the moment I am working my way though ERARDs patents for my next
>project some fascinating drawings on bridges.
>
>Barrie,
>
>In article <199712091931.NAA16669@onyx.southwind.net>, Ron Nossaman
><nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET> writes
>>Hi Newton,
>>
>>It would split twice as fast? If it were taller than it was wide, would it
>>"break off" with a major pitch raise? How about "flagpoling bridge
syndrome"?

>>The splitting part brings me to something I wanted to ask anyway. Is there a
>>reasonable body of empirical evidence that horizontally laminated bridges
>>are evil, or is it just that since they are found on evil pianos, it's
>>assumed? Have horizontally laminated bridges been actually installed in
>>decent pianos and tested?
>>
>>Ever a "lert" and in anticipation, Ron
>>

>>At 12:21 PM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>>Why ARE bridges so wide?  What, if anything, would happen if a bridge
>>>were half its current width?
>>>
>>>      Newton
>>>

>> Ron Nossaman
>>

>--
>
>Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
>The UK PIano Page                              |
>pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

 Ron Nossaman