Soundboard Thoughts-Mehlin

Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:21:40 -0800

Greg,

At 11:31 AM 12/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>A few years ago I did some action work on a Mehlin 5' 4" baby grand with the
>slanted soundboard and violin type bridge (bass bridge was tall and had oval
>holes in the middle) and this piano just "sang".  Don't remember how old it
>was but I think it was made in the 30's or 40's maybe. It sounded "big",
>more like a 6 footer...

I'm pretty sure that that Mehlin would have been older than that.  Truly
wonderful pianos.  Tall, stately bridges, beautiful woodworking.  I
no longer have my notes from several of those, but I do seem to remember
a slightly lower tension scale.  Several had the plate poured in a
very complex, compound curve that was especially noticable
throughout the pin wells.

The boards, also, seemed thinner, with more ribs that
had smaller crossections.

Marvelous instruments.

Best.

Horace